Sunday, April 8, 2012

Salto el Claro

I arrived in Pucon this morning on an overnight bus from Santiago. My goal was to book a hike to the volcano for the next day or two and then leave town, but the weather is iffy the next few days so we'll see what happens. The morning was overcast with pieces of sunshine so I figured I should take advantage of the weather and jumped in a taxi to hike to Salto el Claro. The hostel owner had given me a hand drawn map, calling it a treasure map because he considered the waterfall to be a treasure. How could I say no?

 

It took just under an hour of walking uphill on a dirt road and down a steep path to reach the falls. The hike was rural and quiet with just a handful of houses and some random turkeys along the way.

 

Lots of beautiful green to see.

 

I had the falls to myself for awhile. I had passed a group on horseback while hiking but they were moving slowly and I was going at a good clip so I arrived well ahead of them. Later, when the riders and their guides caught up to me, the guide was thoroughly impressed that I had done the hike on my own.

 

The falls are eighty five meters high. The water comes from the glaciers and is expectedly cold. There was a bit of a wind restricted to the waterfall basin which made the air noticeably cooler.

 

During the hike back, the sun stayed out and illuminated everything in its path.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment