Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cleveland

Taking an eight hour bus ride from Grand Rapids to Cleveland is about as exciting as it sounds. Fortunately, my Ohio friends are well worth the trip! Plus, this is the welcome basket of toiletries that awaited me. Not bad!

 

I stayed with a former college roommate and her husband while our third roommate drove up from Columbus with her two awesome kids for the day. We had so much food at our vegan(!) picnic that we had barely finished it all three days later!

 

Mini Bear got her diaper changed, too.

 

Mini Bear decided not watch, rather than to help, assemble the kite. They figured it out eventually.

 

Playing nice with Mini Bear.

 

The six of us had a fantastic time together.


 

The following day I was admittedly a little sore from picking up and playing with the kids so much but by the afternoon my friend and I had recovered enough to go for a hike in Cuyahoga National Park. It was beautifully green and we had the place pretty much to ourselves.

 

Can you find the frog in this photo?

 

I don't know its height but this is apparently the highest waterfall in Ohio. It's no Victoria Falls but I never would have guessed that such a gorgeous park was so close to Cleveland.

 

I was surprised again the next day when we set off for a tour of northeast Ohio's vineyards. I don't know about you, dear reader, but I had no idea that Ohio even had vineyards. South River Winery was an old chapel that had been slated for demolition when a passerby happened to ask a local about it. The local responded the passerby could have the building for one dollar!

 

Out on the terrace, we dined on our previous picnic leftovers and admired the view.

 

The two of us each sampled four wines at the bargain price of $5.

 

The second vineyard sat right on Lake Eerie.

 

Here we tasted five wines for $5 and each got a free wineglass.

 

The Old Firehouse Winery was our last stop. The family friendly vineyard included a rickety looking ferris wheel and each wine sample was only fifty cents!

 

By the end of the day, Mini Bear had had her fill of wine.

 

With her husband as our ever patient designated driver taking us home, my friend and I cranked my iPod and sang the whole way home.

 

Say what you want about Ohio, but you can't argue with the price of a day of wine tasting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment