Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Buenos Aires: bikes & the tango

Our trio explored the city by bicycle today. Unfortunately for me, when we dropped off our clothes at the laundromat the other day, we arrived to pick up our clothes a few minutes too late and the place had closed for a four day weekend. Since then I've been alternating the few clothes I didn't bring to the laundromat: a dress, a skirt, and two shirts. Today was a skirt day, which isn't the best idea when spending the day biking around town!

 

We first hit up the hip neighborhood of Palermo, which is the city's European-influenced version of New York City's West Village. We rode around a quiet park and watched the geese swim around and honk at each other.


 

PorteƱos love their dogs like New Yorkers and Parisians. During our afternoon ride, we passed multiple dog walkers, each one typically with about a dozen dogs of all sizes.

 

Riding east, we next stopped at Puerto Madero for lunch on the water. Having lived in New York for too long, I am understandably and unnecessarily anxious about locking up a bicycle and leaving it on the street. I think I hardly made eye contact during lunch as I couldn't take my eyes off the bikes!

 

Fortunately (and predictably), the bikes were fine and continued on to San Telmo. It was a weekday afternoon, so the neighborhood was quiet, unlike when we visited on Sunday for the market. We had a hard time finding the place to return the bikes, which lead us to find three spots I had looked for on Sunday but didn't find.

 

The first was the famous San Telmo fresco.

 

And just down the street was Buenos Aires's narrowest building. It's the perfect size for Mini Bear.

 

The last spot was El Viejo Almancen.

 

We eventually returned the bikes, got cleaned up, and went to an evening tango show in a theater on Calle Florida, a pedestrian shopping zone.

 

Our table was right in front of the stage, giving us a great view of the dancing. Noticing the steps leading from the audience area to the stage, I was nervous they'd pull audience members on stage. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with looking like a fool a public, but I strongly dislike dancing with strangers. The dancing was great, the live music was perfect, and I was more than a little relieved when the show ended and I was still safe in my seat!

 

Around the corner from the theater was the President's office, La Casa Rosada. It's painted a pink/salmon shade, but at night the building is illuminated with not-so-subtle pink lights.

 

1 comment: