Friday, May 25, 2012

Buenos Aires: el mercado San Telmo

About sixteen hours after hopping on what was to become one of the longest overnight bus rides of my life, not in terms of hours but in sheer misery (in case you were wondering, Paraguayan bus drivers snore louder than anyone I've ever met), my trusty travel companion and I arrived in Buenos Aires. Here's a shot from the bus ride approaching Buenos Aires.

 

And here's what they tried to pass off as dinner. I think the ketchup packet was the only thing that wasn't deep fried. This is why I bring my own snacks!

 

So my first actual day in the city was spent eating, showering, and napping, in that order.

 

The next day, fresh as a daisy, we hit the weekly San Telmo market, which has been around for over one hundred years.

 

It's full of antiques and off beat, eclectic goodies.

 

It seemed like half of the city had descended upon the few blocks that comprised the market. People were out shopping, dancing the tango, and enjoying a glass of wine.

 

As night fell, we came upon a drum circle. The music was energetic and the crowd loved it.

 

We walked to Puerto Madero in search of dinner but ended up just taking photos of the lights instead. (These photos I didn't take. Stealing photos is an advantage of traveling with someone!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment