Monday, February 27, 2012

Quito: 2,850 meters

Flying into Quito reminded me of the Buttonville airport in Ontario as a kid. It was always such a thrill to drive past it because the planes were so low over the road as they approached the runway, I wondered if they might accidentally land on the car! Landing at Quito takes you right over the city--and I mean barely over the city! In the last couple of days, I've found myself stopping to watch the odd plane descend from the clouds and disappear into the cityscape. This must be a challenging landing for pilots.

 

Quito is an extremely dense city nestled in a long and narrow valley in the mountains. The view from the top of El Panecillo, Little Bread Loaf, reveals just how jam packed this city of 2 million is.

 

At the top of El Panecillo is a statue of the Virgin of Quito. She looms over the city and is highly visible.

 

Buildings in the Old Town date back hundreds and hundreds of years, which is why the area is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is full of gorgeous churches with simple exteriors and richly decorated, ornate interiors (except that I didn't take any interior pictures because there was often a service going on, so you'll just have to believe us!).

Everyone had told me how impressive the Basilica was, so it was my first stop. I appreciate nice churches but it's not often they actually impress me. Wow! The Basilica is a great example of neo-gothic architecture. The main difference between it and Paris's Notre Dame is that Paris has gargoyles of terrifying creatures while the Basilica has gargoyles of tortoises, armadillos, iguanas, and other native animals that aren't very menacing!

 

I paid the $2 foreigner fee to climb the tower. And to keep climbing. And to keep climbing! Every time I thought I had reached the top, there was another level to ascend to! I lost track of how many narrow, steep staircases and ladders I went up, but I later overheard a woman on the ground floor asking where the bathrooms were and the response was, "sixth level!"

 

Each level had something new to offer...

-a view of the interior

 

-stained glass windows

 

-views of the city (the Virgin of Quito is in the background)

 

On Sundays, musicians gather together to play traditional Ecuadorian music in Old Town's many plazas. Large crowds come to watch musicians and dancers perform.

 

Nearby New Town isn't much to look at, but it is the hub for backpackers. It explodes with life on Friday and Saturday nights when locals and travelers alike fill up the restaurants, bars, cafes, and clubs.

 

3 comments:

  1. This post is awesome. I have actually run flight simulation training for final approach and landing in Quito, and you nailed it right on the head - it is quite difficult! The topography combined with the elevation means you need to slow almost to the point of stalling, and you do it right on top of the city. Did you notice a lot of kickback when you landed? Pilots usually have to engage the reverse thrust in order to pull it off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When on earth have you done flight simulations? That's so cool! I didn't notice any kickback but I was probably just focusing on positive thoughts that I wasn't looking for it. But since I'm going to the Galapagos tomorrow, I'll try to watch for it when I land in Quito again next week :)

      Delete
    2. Flight simulations = all the time. :)

      May be less noticeable coming back from the Galapagos since I'm assuming you'll be on a smaller plane, but nonetheless interesting to look out for!

      Delete