Sunday, February 26, 2012

Miscellaneous Colombia

Colombia was everything I had hoped for and more. It is a beautiful country with kind people and a seemingly endless supply of fresh mangos. What else do you really need? When I return, whenever that may be, I will be sure to get to Cali to visit a friend's family, San Gil to check out the country's adventure capital, Medellin again to see the enormous outdoor escalator (google it!), and Bogota to see the big city.

 

In the meantime, here are a few parting photos from Colombia.

 

Empanadas and other fried treats can be found on practically every corner.

 

There are a few local beers, but Aguila was the most prominent...

...and this was a beer I thought only existed on The Simpsons!

 

In Cartagena, my curiosity was piqued when I saw monumento a los zapatos viejos, monument to the old shoes, on a map. Famed local poet Luis Carlos Lopez wrote a poem celebrating his love for Cartagena as you love your old shoes, so the city built this large and quirky monument in 1996.

 

And because apparently I am developing an internal accordion radar, here's a shot I took only because I succeeded in temporarily stealing another traveler's camera, jumping over a railing, and off a small patio!

 

Next stop Ecuador!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment