Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Otavalo animal market

I've been to markets before but I've never experienced anything like Otavalo's Saturday animal market! I went with my two British friends, so we were 2.5 vegetarians checking out a market where virtually every animal is destined for someone's dinner plate sooner or later.

 

We had general directions how to reach the market but we mostly found it by following the big crowds of people. It was held in what looked to me to be an otherwise large, empty, gravel lot. The place was packed! It was shoulder to shoulder with people bargaining and inspecting livestock, plus the odd foreigner snapping photos.

 

There was, unexpectedly, a poster covering an entire side of a van dedicated to prostate health. I'm not sure what this has to do with the animal market, but I guess it's important to talk about healthy prostates...?

 

Given the sheer number of animals in such a busy place, I had expected it to smell much worse than it did (although you weren't likely to forget where you were any time soon). The sense that was most overstimulated was my hearing. With all those animals mooing and clucking and chirping and meowing and cooing and oinking and barking and baaing and, well, I don't think the rabbits really made much noise, but still, it was a wonder people could bargain! I'd turn to say something to my friends and just as I would open my mouth, a cow would let loose a disgruntled MOOOOOOOO.

 

In no particular order, I saw:

Pigs of all sizes

 

Guinea pigs

Rabbits

Kittens

Puppies

Ducks

Pigeons

Chickens

Chicks

 

Roosters

Cows and calves

Llamas

Goats

Sheep

 

In case you didn't have the patience or energy to purchase, slaughter, and prepare your own animal, there were plenty of food vendors on hand offering many recognizable meats (and a few unrecognizable) for lunch.

 

Deciding to pass on the food vendors, we went to the regular market where merchants sell handicrafts, textiles, t-shirts, souvenirs! Fruit and vegetables, and most anything else you can think of to tourists and locals alike. I wasn't planning to buy anything but I ended up with a shirt nonetheless. My travel companions were doing some serious souvenir hunting as their trip was coming to a close and they bought some lovely blankets that will undoubtedly keep their friends and family warm and cozy thought the English winters.

 

A food vendor did eventually catch our eye and I had my first maduro: a grilled plantain sliced in half with cheese inside. It may not sound that appealing but it was delicious! I pretty much inhaled mine.

 

After a sit down, I gathered my things and said goodbye to the Brits. They were continuing on to a nearby weaving town and I had to return to Quito. I caught a bus just as it was about to leave the station and enjoyed the winding view all the way back to the capital.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment